Thursday, November 29, 2007

Wow, I realized more than a month has gone by and I hadn't updated the blog. We all get caught up in a time-warp sometimes and then when you are faced with the unbelievable fact (is that an oxymoron?) of looking at a time-stamp and seeing how many hours, days and it's now a month that has gone by and you didn't feel the time slipping by?
So since my last post: I've had a 357 Magnum gun stolen from our store to do God only knows, but let's hope in the the river now; the cats have been switched from canned catfood to home-made catfood because Katina was slowly starving herself to death and I'm not going back to dry; we've spent a week/Thanksgiving in Texas, and the leaves have fallen off most of the trees while we were gone.
The Gun: we had really nice renovations at the store with completely new carpet, tile and paint. A Before and After fit for HGTV. We had Americans, Latinos, Iranians and one Afro-American working on the project. Guess who the cops are looking into and for taking the gun? He is also the guy who wouldn't provide a social security number to the police. Hint: The guys with green-cards provided their SS#. The gun was reported in detail to the police and let me say that the officer was surprised after all these years I had the receipt. He said "many, if not most guns, that are reported are listed as simply "a gun". My response was more women should own guns because they keep the receipts for their shoes and their guns. He admitted he doesn't keep his receipts, and his wife likes shoes.
Raw Catfood: Katina made me work to get her to eat any substantial amount of canned catfood. Her fur was looking good, but she was getting TOO thin. No muscle tone. Beruse would chew through the can if he could and wishes he had thumbs so he can use the can opener. So after a visit to the vet (who tried to push on me a sample bag of Poisonous DRY kitten food to see if she's not feeling well because she not eating [misses dry food having ate it for more than 12 years] or is she not eating because she doesn't feel well test)...he tried really hard to get me to be a dry feeder again. Thanks to a new-found friend in Charlottesville, Steph Givler, she gave me a sample of her home-made raw cat food and Keeta devoured it. I'm really glad Keeta pushed me into grinding my own catfood at home. It is really easy, but don't go just feeding your cat raw meat. The raw has to be supplemented with vitamins (especially taurine). http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm Let me say, it was costing about $1.50 a day on canned, now with homemade it's .92 cents and I didn't even buy the chicken on sale. I know what my cat's are eating now and it ain't no melanine wheat gluten acid from China.
Texas for Thanksgiving. I don't think I ever missed a Thanksgiving in VA, but that was when the family had my grandparents, my Mom, and my Uncle Nels. They were the real glue to my family: the ones that were unequivocally true-hearted and knew what FAMILY meant. So off to Texas we went to have a Turkey cooking contest against Sam's brother Mazen. Better luck next year, Mazen. My sister, Paris and her Jug-O-Wine, and her family came for Thanksgiving from San Antonio and we had a Great Time as they stayed with us in Houston for several days!!!
We toured the Moody Gardens http://www.moodygardens.org/ with their Louve-esque pyramids and took breaks, down the street, at Mazen's Restaurant on the Strand for choice selections of beer for the adults and great Middle Eastern food. Mazen has a big a$$ boat called the 'Amazen'. It's sleek and in the 30+ foot range. We look forward to February's Mardi Gra; if it's warm enough then, to taking the boat out for a cruise. The weather was strangely cold during our visit. It was much warmer in Richmond. Damn.
Upon returning to Virginia, I realized that in a week's time, the beautifully colored leaves on the trees had shrivelled up and fallen. Time had visually passed in a way I had never seen before. It made me think about how things used to be, how people and relationships have changed in my life, in more ways than one.

No comments: